HELP US SUSTAIN SAN DIEGO’S VITAL NATURAL RESOURCE
Dig in! Join Forever Balboa Park for a hybrid series all about the importance of trees in our community, Balboa Park’s urban forest, and engaging topics to help you “plant it forward” in your own backyard. Rooted in hands-on learning, our family-friendly virtual series features tree planting suggestions and education on climate-friendly and native trees.
Plant It Forward 2022: Maintaining Our Urban Forest goes from Nov 7 to 11, celebrating trees in San Diego and inspired by Kate Sessions, the “Mother of Balboa Park.” Join us and share your images, stories, and planting tips on social media.
WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
- Volunteer at the Plant It Forward tree planting—November 11, 9-11AM, RSVP Here
- Join us in an at-home planting—pick up a FREE sapling at Golden Hill Park and plant it at home (details below)
- Spread the word—share our mini-videos as they launch on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
- Level up—support your local nursery and select your own climate-appropriate trees in celebration of Plant It Forward and San Diego’s urban forest!
We’ve partnered with SDG&E to create a series of mini video tutorials.
Check out the links below to learn more about the ecological benefits of trees, safe tree planting, choosing climate-appropriate trees, and the issue of inequity in urban forests. We’ll even supply you with your own climate-appropriate or native sapling, available for pickup at Forever Balboa Park’s Plant It Forward pop-up event (while supplies last). Trees nurture our well-being, help reduce the impact of climate change, and provide habitat for wildlife. Plant it forward today!
PLANT IT FORWARD VIDEOS
THE ECOLOGICAL BENEFITS OF TREES
CHOOSING A NATIVE OR CLIMATE-APPROPRIATE TREE
SAFE TREE PLANTING
INEQUITY IN URBAN FORESTS
FREE saplings available for pickup at our Plant It Forward Pop-Up Event
- Time: Friday, Nov 11, 9 am – 12 pm
- Location: Golden Hill Park
- Quantity Available: 100+ saplings
Please note that all saplings are available for pickup on a first-come, first-served basis. Limit 1 plant per household. You will be asked to fill out a brief digital form (name, email, zip code) upon pickup—we will not be sharing this information with anyone. Plants will be distributed beginning at the starting time listed until supplies run out.
5 Suggested Trees to Grow at Home
Want to plant other trees at home? Here are five suggested species to grow in the San Diego area:
- Quercus agrifolia, Coast Live Oak
- Prunus ilicifolia, Hollyleaf Cherry
- Platanus racemosa, California Sycamore
- Pinus torreyana, Torrey Pine
- Populus fremontii ssp. fremontii, Fremont Cottonwood
- Sambucus mexicana, Mexican Blue Elderberry
DID YOU KNOW?
Plant It Forward falls on the week of Kate Session’s birthday, November 8. Kate Sessions is known as the “Mother of Balboa Park” for her work in landscaping the park in its early days.