Some description text for this item
Balboa Park has more than 15,000 trees, and every one needs TLC!
Tree Stewards are Balboa Park’s urban forest warriors who work with Parks and Rec to help these precious green resources thrive. Be part of an elite volunteer corps that monitors the health and well-being of hundreds of newly planted trees and thousands of legacy trees in need of conservation.
Tree Stewards are specially trained to monitor newly planted trees, general health conditions of existing trees, soil moisture surrounding new trees, including identifying irrigation needs, and possible pest infestation. Tree Stewards generally work in teams of two in an assigned zone of the park and also serve as the eyes and ears of the Parks and Rec department, alerting its staff to any concerns.
Be a Tree Steward
Balboa Park’s tree collection is an extraordinary asset to our region. As such, its adequate care requires dedicated support from tree lovers like you.
- Over the age of 18
- Passionate about trees
- Interested in learning to identify tree species
- Able to walk around a predetermined zone to observe and monitor trees
- Willing to work 6-8 hours each month in 2-to-4-hour shifts
- Available to complete 10 hours of orientation training
- Able to remain outdoors during the entire shift
- Able to make a 1-year commitment