Pitch In For Your Park
Garden Stewards help the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department and Forever Balboa Park staff with routine garden maintenance of 18 magnificent gardens within Balboa Park, while greeting and orienting visitors at each garden site. This volunteer position helps restore and maintain gardens to their historical and botanical glory.
Be a Garden Steward
With 18 gardens and even more curated planting beds, Balboa Park requires skilled support to maintain them.
- Over the age of 18
- Passionate about plants and gardens
- Able to walk, bend, and kneel to perform basic gardening tasks
- Interested in learning to identify different plants and weeds
- Willing to complete up to 8 hours of garden volunteer orientation and training
- Willing to work at least two multi-hour shifts per month (a few hours weekly is ideal)
- Able to make a 1-year time commitment
- Able to remain outdoors during a 2-4-hour shift
- For some assignments: willing to complete a background check and fingerprinting (at no cost to volunteer)
- Able to set up/take down a shade structure and chairs (stored in nearby building) and carry other garden tools and supplies with the help of partners