Some description text for this item
Experts in Action
Park Ambassadors work “in the field” to greet park guests and start them on their exploration of Balboa Park. These friendly and knowledgeable volunteers share up-to-date information about Balboa Park’s museums, history, gardens, and other amenities to guests. Our Ambassadors are briefed daily about any special events in the park, closures, or traffic issues. Park Ambassadors work in teams of two outdoors at the three major plazas in the historic center of the park.
Park Ambassadors also act as the eyes and ears of the Parks and Recreation department to help keep visitors and the park safe. They are trained on when and how to alert park staff to maintenance needs and safety issues should they arise.
The Park Ambassadors is a joint program with the City of San Diego, and therefore every applicant is required to undergo a background check.
Be a Park Ambassador
Stationed at key park hubs and entry points, Park Ambassadors provide up-to-date information to visitors.
- Over the age of 18
- Enthusiastic and outgoing
- Effective communicators (bilingual skills are very helpful)
- San Diegans with prior knowledge of Balboa Park and San Diego in general
- Able to complete 20 hours of orientation training
- Willing to attend additional meetings as required
- Willing to complete a background check and fingerprinting (at no cost)
- Available to work four 4-hour shifts per month (with exceptions)
- Able to make a 2-year commitment (a 1-year commitment is acceptable)
- Able to remain standing/walking outdoors during much of the 4-hour shift (10am–2pm)
- Able to set up/take down the shade structure and chairs (stored in nearby building) with the help of their partner